Just like you, your cat is going to get sick occasionally and you’ll likely come home from the veterinarian’s with some medication to administer. Learning how to do it right will make the process easier both for you and your cat. Always follow the instructions given by your veterinarian. Be sure to administer the full amount of medication over the number of days instructed by your veterinarian.
Tablets & Capsules
- Place the pill between the thumb and index finger of one hand.
- Hold the top of the cat’s head and grasp the cheekbones with the thumb and index finger of the other hand.
- Tilt the head back until the cat’s eyes are facing upward.
- Usually the cat’s jaw will drop open on its own. If not, apply a little pressure on the lower jaw with your middle finger.
- Bring the pill to the cat’s mouth.
- Keep your middle finger over the small incisor teeth to keep jaw open.
- Deposit the pill as far back on the tongue as possible.
- Immediately close the mouth.
- Gently stroke the throat or blow on the nose to encourage swallowing.
- Work fast to avoid being bitten.