Just like you, your dog is going to get sick occasionally and you’ll likely come home from the veterinarian’s with some medication to administer. Learning about administering medication to dogs will show you how to do it right and will make the process easier both for you and your dog. Always follow the instructions given by your veterinarian. Be sure to administer the full amount of medication over the number of days instructed by your veterinarian.
Tablets & Capsules
- Place the pill between the thumb and the index finger of one hand.
- Firmly grasp the upper jaw with the thumb and index finger of the other hand.
- Gently fold the upper lip over the teeth as you open the mouth. This will reduce the chance of being bitten.
- Rotate your wrist to tilt the head upwards.
- Use your middle finger to slowly open the lower jaw.
- Keep your middle finger over the small incisor teeth and deposit the pill as far back on the tongue as possible.
- Immediately close the mouth. Keeping your hand over the mouth, put the head down to facilitate swallowing.
- Stroke the throat or blow on the nose to encourage swallowing.