- Start by dipping a finger in beef bouillon for dogs.
- Rub this finger gently over your pet’s gums and one or two teeth.
- Repeat until your pet seems fairly comfortable with this activity.
- Gradually, introduce a gauze-covered finger and gently scrub the teeth with a circular motion.
- Then, you can begin to use a toothbrush, either an ultra-soft model designed for people or a special pet tooth-brush or finger brush, which is a rubber finger covering with a small brush built in at its tip.
- Finally, once your pet is used to brushing, introduce the use of pet toothpaste in liquid or paste form. Most of these contain chlorhexidine or stannous fluoride – ask your veterinarian for his recommendations. Don’t use human toothpaste, as it can upset your pet’s stomach. Your vet may also advise the use of an antiseptic spray or rinse after brushing.